The Ministry of Defence (MoD) established the enduring £10 million Covenant Fund in August 2015 to support the armed forces community through the Armed Forces Covenant. The Fund was based within the Ministry of Defence until last month when it was moved to the independent Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust.
The Armed Forces Covenant sets out the relationship between the nation, the Government and the armed forces. It recognises that the whole nation has a moral obligation to current and former members of the armed forces and their families, and it sets out how they should expect to be treated.
This year’s funding is focused on community integration projects and local delivery of services that support the Armed Forces community in the UK.
Grants of up to £20,000 are available for projects that respond to the local needs of the armed forces community and improve recognition of the Armed Forces Covenant, and that:
- Help integrate armed forces and civilian communities across the UK, and/or
- Deliver valuable local services to the Armed Forces community.
Proposed projects must identify one of the following as their main focus:
- Health and wellbeing.
- Education and employability.
- Events and commemorations.
Registered charities, community interest companies, local authorities, schools, and Armed Forces units with a UIN (Unit Identification Number) can apply as long as they:
- Have experience and a track record of working with the Armed Forces Community, as well as a real understanding of the issues facing the Armed Forces Community.
- Can provide evidence of real engagement and partnership working – with either an Armed Forces charity or an Armed Forces unit.
Applicants must be willing to work closely with their Local Covenant Partnerships to ensure that their project is properly connected locally, responds to recognised need and does not duplicate other provisions.
Applicants who are successful with their Local Grants application may also be able to benefit from the Covenant Fund’s Digital Development Programme.
Local Grants Programme applications are assessed four times per year.
The deadlines for application are 29 July, 30 September and 17 December 2018.
It is expected that there will be other funding programmes for 2018/19.
Further details can be found on the Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust website.
Source: Ministry of Defence, 03/05/2018