Today Wyre Council has celebrated the borough’s sporting superstars as the achievements of nine individuals, clubs and schools were recognised at the Wyre Sports Awards.
The awards were given out to showcase Wyre’s sporting talent after clubs, coaches, players and parents were asked to nominate those in the community who deserved to be recognised for their efforts.
The winners of the 2019 awards are:
– Primary School of the Year – Hambleton Primary School
– Community Project of the Year – YMCA Your Move
– Secondary School of the Year – Hodgson Academy
– Club of the Year – Fleetwood Cricket Club
– Services to Under-represented Groups – Josh Landmann (Para Alpine Skiing and Paratriathlon)
– Volunteer of the Year – Sarah Skelton, (Garstang Hockey Club)
– Young Achiever of the Year – Isabella Lyons (Rhythmic Gymnastics)
– Coach of the Year – Kev McGuirk (Fleetwood Town Juniors)
– Lifetime Achievement – Steve Abbott (Thornton Cleveleys Football Club)
The Mayor of Wyre, Councillor Ann Turner presented each winner with their certificate and they will now go forward to represent Wyre at the Lancashire Sports Awards, the largest celebration of amateur sport in the county, which takes place in November.
Wyre’s Sports Awards celebrate excellence and dedication in local sport and recognise the coaches, volunteers, schools and clubs who have made a real difference. They celebrate sporting achievements across the borough and pay tribute to those who have shown commitment and enthusiasm in order to achieve sporting excellence, and to those who have dedicated their time and efforts to individuals or clubs.
Councillor Lynne Bowen, Portfolio Holder for Leisure, Health and Community Engagement at Wyre Council comments: “We have so much to celebrate here in Wyre and the competition was tough. These individuals, groups and schools have shown great commitment to sport and their awards are very well deserved. I wish them all the best as they go on to represent our borough at the county awards.”