John Laing Charitable Trust Fund
Background Information: The John Laing Charitable Trust Fund is managed by the Community Foundation for Lancashire on behalf of the John Laing Charitable Trust
What is the focus of the fund: The Trust would like to make grants under the sectors it operates which cover the following areas:
Community regeneration which should include charities benefitting the aged
Disadvantaged young people (aged 4 – 18)
How much is available: The maximum grant available is £1000 and the total budget for this round is £10,000
Who can apply: Voluntary or community groups with a constitution or set of rules in the group’s name, which includes CICs and social enterprises
Which areas are covered: Lancashire wide covering all boroughs
Priorities: Priority will be given to projects that support older people and to small grassroots groups with low incomes. The panel prefers to fund sustainable projects that have a long term benefit and that can really make a difference in their community. The panel will also consider projects that are addressing the impact of the COVID pandemic, provided they meet the broad focus of the fund.
The Trust does not support charities whose main aim is animal welfare.
Examples of the sorts of projects that may be funded:
Equipment for luncheon club
Activities for older person’s group
Projects to reduce social isolation for vulnerable groups
Equipment for youth club
Activities for young people
Training for volunteers
Furniture and equipment for supported accommodation project
Advice and counselling projects
Skill building sessions for homeless people
Projects for young carers
The closing date is Friday 14 May 2021
How to apply?
Please visit the Community Foundation for Lancashire website – www.lancsfoundation.org.uk and complete an online application form. Once you have submitted the online application you will need to send the documents listed below. If you do not submit all the relevant documents within 7 days your application will be withdrawn. You can now attach the documents to your online application, email them to [email protected] or post them to the address below.
Documents which need to be included with your application:
1. A copy of the group’s rules or constitution
2. A copy of the group’s latest annual accounts or income/expenditure document
3. A copy of a recent bank statement for your group
4. A list of your Trustees/Directors/Management Committee members
5. A copy of the group’s current Safeguarding Policy. All applicants must ensure that they hold relevant policies and procedures in place to undertake activities, such as Criminal Records
Bureau checks and/or a health and safety policy, depending on proposed activity. If unsure about what you need please contact the Community Foundation for help (details below)
NB: If you have received a grant from us in the last 12 months and have already submitted copies of the above documents, you do not need to send them in again. However, a bank statement is
required with every application.
The following items cannot be supported via the fund:
Statutory organisations or work that is their responsibility
• National organizations that cannot demonstrate local governance and control of local
• Commercial ventures
• Purchase/maintenance of vehicles
• Activities that will have already taken place before we offer you a grant
• Politically connected or exclusively religious activities
• Projects for personal profit
• Trophies and medals
• Organisations that are set up for the benefit of animals or plants: organisations working
with animals to benefit people, community and environment are acceptable
• Groups comprising just one family
• Debts and other liabilities
• Reclaimable VAT
• Travel outside UK
• Gifts or projects exclusively for the purpose of entertaining – social events can be
funded where there is a clear community benefit
What happens next?
Completed applications are considered by Community Foundation staff to check eligibility. You may be contacted for more information after applying and a decision making panel will make
recommendations based on the fund’s criteria and the budget available.
You should expect to hear the outcome of your application within 8 weeks of the closing date.
For further information, please us at:
Community Foundation for Lancashire
43 Hanover Street,
T: 0330 440 4900
Email: [email protected]