Community Connector – Blackpool
Posted by British Red Cross
Salary £18619 per annum
Location Blackpool, Lancashire
21 Hours per week
2 Years Fixed Term Contract
GBP 18,619 (pro rata salary GBP 11,171)
About the role
Could you help people in your community who are lonely or isolated?
The Community Connector will work with people affected by social isolation and loneliness, to help them gain confidence and reconnect with their community.
Working alongside Volunteer Community Connector’s, you will provide short-term, practical help, positive encouragement and emotional support, tailored to the individuals needs and be available to all sections of the community. You will be responsible for developing effective working relationships with all partners, stakeholders and local organisations in order to create social networks and local activities that can be sustained long-term.
This role is home based with travel to the British Red Cross offices as appropriate. You will be required to travel throughout the local area. The Community Connector will report to the Service Manager and you will be part of the Area Independent Living Team.
The Community Connector will:
* Support lonely & socially isolated service users.
* Keep up to date with local community services appropriate for our service users, with support from the Community Connector Manager.
* Listen to people’s needs, aspirations and concerns and co-create a ‘step plan’ to ensure the service user meets their aims.
* Support individuals to attend local community services and clubs suitable for their needs.
* Help identify other activities in the area and accompany the service user to help build their confidence.
* Maintain contact with the beneficiary to monitor progress against goals until loneliness and social isolation is alleviated.
About the organisation
The British Red Cross helps millions of people in the UK and around the world to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies, disasters and conflicts.
Their volunteers and staff help people in crisis to live independently by providing support at home, mobility aids and transport. They also teach first aid skills.
They are part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent humanitarian network. We refuse to ignore people in crisis.
About the team
In the UK, their health and social care work offers valuable time-limited support for individuals vulnerable to crisis. For people experiencing social isolation and loneliness their service enables people to access services and support to lessen the associated impact and reconnect into their communities.
About the person
They keep the service user at the heart of what they do, working to understand their needs and the differences they can make. The successful applicant will have:
* Good interpersonal skills, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills.
* Sensitivity when working with people affected by social isolation and loneliness, whilst maintaining an interest in their well-being and developing pathways out of loneliness.
* Consideration regarding maintaining service user confidentiality.
* An understanding of how to improve service quality for the benefit of users.
* An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves.
* Good understanding of community groups and networks in the local area with an ability to develop lasting partnerships.
* An ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team.
* Ability to travel with service users to local groups and events. (This may include using your own car to drive the service user and possibly their children).
* Educated to GCSE level (or equivalent by experience)
* Full Drivers Licence and access to a vehicle.
* IT literate.
* Willingness to work flexible hours.
[Please click here to view the full job description and person specification for this position.]
Closing date for applications is (23:59), Friday 31st March 2017.
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 11st April 2017.
They offer a wide range of staff benefits, these include:
* 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
* Up to 6% contributory pension
* Childcare vouchers
Should you have any questions on this role please email Hazel Smith or quoting reference REQ0000012WE
The British Red Cross is committed to being an inclusive employer with a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from people from the widest possible diversity of backgrounds, cultures and experiences – including disabled and ethnic minority candidates. This is to contribute to the breadth of experience we need to respond to people in crisis.
As part of its recruitment and selection process the British Red Cross may undertake DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)/ PVG checking of all individuals who regularly work with or have access to children and vulnerable adults.
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Follow us on Twitter @RedCrossJobsUK and on Linked in – British Red Cross, to hear about our latest job vacancies.
Refusing to ignore people in crisis.